Pilates is suitable for all ages, fitness levels, ability and experience. Pilates can be an aerobic and non-aerobic form of exercise. Pilates focusses on strength and lengthening muscles, improving alignment and core stability. It requires focus and concentration for you to move your body through precise ranges of motion. It requires concentration to find a centre point to control your body through movement. Pilates facilitates better health, pain relief and good body awareness through the development of a mind and body connection. Each exercise has a prescribed rhythm and breathing pattern.
The main benefits from Pilates are:
- Pain relief
- Better mind-body awareness
- Increased muscle and joint flexibility/mobility
- Improved alignment and posture
- Core strength
- Improved concentration
- Deeper breathing
- Stress relief and relaxation
- Rehabilitation or prevention of injuries related to muscle imbalances
- Prevention of musculoskeletal injuries
- Improved stabilisation of your spine
Pilates aims to address structural imbalances, pain and difficulty with movements. It also aims to improve posture, strength, body tone, general fitness and stamina.